Wheeling, IL The Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) is seeking an innovative entrepreneurial leader to serve as its next Executive Director.
Established in 1988 as a unit of local government to manage the region’s waste stream, the Agency is a municipal joint action agency. The 23 members of the Agency are located principally in an area of Cook County north and northwest of the City of Chicago. The territory of the Members covers an area of approximately 160 square miles. The corporate limits of the Members also extend into DuPage, Kane, and Lake Counties. The Agency operates a transfer station for both members and non-members that collected 365,800 tons of solid waste in 2021. Additionally, SWANCC supports a recycling incentive program and serves as an educational resource for matters pertaining to solid waste management. The annual SWANCC budget is approximately $14.0 million; the Agency has a three (3) person staff.
Qualified candidates will be expected to have:
- A minimum five-years’ experience as a director or assistant director preferably, reporting to an elected or appointed board.
- Have experience in intergovernmental relations, working with appropriate local, regional, state, and federal jurisdictions and agencies in a constructive and cooperative manner, presenting and representing Board of Directors and Executive Committee approved policies in an effective manner.
- Possess a strong background in finance and budgeting, demonstrated success in contract negotiations, experience in strategic planning, marketing, and the ability to work collaboratively with a large board of directors.
- Experience with, or a strong interest in waste reduction programs, green initiatives, and a dedication to best practices in all aspects of agency operations and service delivery programs is desired.
- Candidates must have an undergraduate degree; coursework in public administration, business administration, finance, or related field is preferred; a Master’s degree or other advanced degrees strongly desired.
- Candidates must possess unquestionable integrity, excellent interpersonal, and writing skills, and an ability to represent the agency with credibility, transparency, and a commitment to a high level of service.
Starting salary: $160,000 +/- DOQ. The Agency does not participate in state or local statutory pension programs. Apply electronically at www.GovHRjobs.com. Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by October 1, 2021 to the attention of Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 630 Northbrook IL 60062. Tel: 847/380-2340 Ext. 122.
Posted:Aug 25, 2021