Town Manager, Sykesville, MD (pop. 4,400). Located 25 miles west of Baltimore and 40 miles north of Washington, D.C., Sykesville is beautifully situated in central Maryland. A charming railroad hub along the Patapsco River, Sykesville is a vibrant community with a thriving downtown, historical commercial district and numerous attractions. The Town is a designated Maryland Main Street Community.
Sykesville is in one of the state’s most picturesque areas and is less than an hour from historic Gettysburg. The Town’s land area covers more than 1.6 square miles. The Town maintains its exurban appeal and high quality of life while balancing growth and progress. The area has been recognized for its livability and family-friendliness.
The Town has a workforce of about 18 full-time and six part-time employees, providing municipal services including police, public works and parks, and administrative services. Public utilities are handled by other entities. The Town Manager oversees Town staff, and a budget of approximately $4 million (general fund and capital). The Town Manager also serves as the Town’s Zoning Administrator and leads the Town’s economic development efforts, including maintaining a close working relationship with the Town’s business community.
Ideal candidates will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in public administration or related field; a Master’s degree in public administration, business administration or closely related field is preferred;
- Three to five years of increasingly responsible local government management experience;
- Proven leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills;
- A team-oriented, strategic-thinking approach toward staff leadership; human resources skills and supervisory experience are essential;
- Strong communication skills;
- Financial, analytical and budget management skills to lead a financially fit organization; and
- Experience in zoning, planning, and economic development is a plus.
The Town Manager is appointed by the Mayor and six-member Town Council. The starting salary range is $90,000 – $110,000 +/- DOQ, plus an excellent benefit package. Residency is encouraged. Candidates should apply by May 27, 2019 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3197. The Town is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted:Apr 22, 2019