Director of Finance – City of Toledo, Ohio (272,779). Founded in 1837, Toledo is the fourth largest city in Ohio and covers 84 square miles. Located along Lake Erie and bisected by the Maumee River, Toledo offers the amenities of a metropolitan area and is home to a regional population of more than 600,000. Centrally located within the Great Lakes region, Toledo is less than two hours from Detroit, Cleveland, and Columbus, and four hours from Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati.
Toledo is well-known for its industry, particularly in automobile assembly and glass (hence the nickname, "The Glass City” thanks to Owens Corning, Owen Illinois, and Libby Glass). Toledo is at the heart of the new manufacturing economy, which is entrepreneurial in spirit. Toledo offers an abundance of cultural and recreation amenities, including a nationally recognized zoo and museum, and an expansive parks and trail system. Toledo offers an extraordinary mixture of opportunity, culture, affordability, accessibility, and beauty.
The City seeks highly-skilled public finance professionals with strong communication skills as candidates for its next Director of Finance. The Director of Finance is a key member of the Mayor’s cabinet in a financially stable organization. The Mayor has been in office since January 2018. The City maintains an A2 bond rating from Moody’s Investor Services.
A technically skilled and collaborative professional, the next Director will lead the Finance Department and a variety of financial activities. The Director oversees a department of five divisions and more than 53 employees, and performs complex work involving fiscal planning, internal audit and budgetary controls, purchasing, taxation, debt management and cost studies. In concert with the Mayor’s executive team and the City Council, the Director develops and manages an overall city budget of more than $890 million.
The City’s next Director will be an ethical and experienced professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a record of leadership, problem solving and decisiveness
- Possess a passion for public service
- Have a desire to work collaboratively with the finance team and other City departments in the delivery of City services
Candidates should also have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in finance, accounting, business, or public administration, or a closely related field or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience. A Master’s degree is highly desired and may substitute for two years of experience
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible experience in fiscal management accounting, or a related field, preferably in the public sector including three years of administrative and supervisory responsibility;
- Working knowledge of financial management/ERP systems
- Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) designation, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) designation desired.
Starting salary range: $136,365 to $147,668+/- DOQ, plus exceptional benefits. The current salary is under review to assure market-competitiveness. The City of Toledo offers a competitive benefits package including generous paid leave, an excellent health care plan with access to a broad network of health, vision and dental services, life insurance, and pension through the state of Ohio.
Candidates should apply by July 6, 2022 (Open until filled) with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, or Byron Marshall, Co-Managing Director, Institute for Excellence in Public Service (i4x). The City of Toledo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Northbrook, IL 60062, Tel. 847.380.3240
Byron Marshall, Co-Managing Director, Institute for Excellence in Public Service, 455 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Suite 363, Washington, DC 20001, Tel. 512.626.9534
Open until Filled
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.