- The Fire Chief/Emergency Preparedness Director reports to the City Manager and is supported by an Assistant Chief of Operations, an Assistant Chief of Training (open), an Assistant Chief of EMS, a Fire Marshal, and Administrative Specialist. The department employs a total of fifty-eight (58) career personnel and four (4) part-time personnel. Shift operations are staffed by three (3) Captains (Station 42) and six (6) Lieutenants (Stations 41 and 43). Career personnel are represented by IAFF Local 4 (current contract 2021 – 2024).
- The department responded on 5,584 calls for service including mutual aid calls in 2022, operating from three (3) fire stations (stations are regionally numbered, 41, 42 and 43).
- Apparatus includes three (3) engines, two (2) ladders, one (1) rescue, one (1) brush truck, four (4) ambulances and (4) staff SUV’s and two (2) utility vehicles.
- The department operates from its current Strategic Plan with an ISO Class 2/2X rating.
- The department has shared service agreements with neighboring communities providing joint operations from Clive IA.
- Fire And Safety Training (F.A.S.T) building located at Station 42. A shared training facility containing a four-story tower and a two-story residential annex with burn rooms. The FAST Center is a collaborative partnership with the Clive Fire Department and the Windsor Heights Fire Department. Costs are shared on basis of 60% Urbandale, 30% Clive and 10% Windsor Heights.
- 9-1-1 Service is provided by WestCom 9-1-1 Dispatch serving the cities of Clive, Norwalk, Urbandale, Waukee, West Des Moines and Windsor Heights.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Administration, Fire Science, Public Administration, EMS/Public Administration or equivalent. Master’s Degree in Public Administration preferred.
- Five to eight years of related experience in fire suppression, fire investigation, fire prevention and EMS.
- 8-10 years of management experience in a combination career/volunteer Fire Department
- Fire Fighter I certification or equivalent
- Iowa Fire Fighter II certification within 12 months of employment
- Iowa EMT or NREMT Certified (Previous Paramedic experience preferred)
- Valid Iowa Drivers' License
- Basic Life Support Certification
- Emergency Vehicle Operator
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment offer background check including credit history check.
- Ability to act with honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, and dependability at all times
- Excellent leadership and management ability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively with little direct supervision
- Accurate mathematical skills
- Sound judgment, problem solving, multi-tasking and decision-making skills, sometimes under stressful/ emergency situations
- Actively support efforts to maintain and improve cooperation, communication and collaboration between employees, partners and the community
- Ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive manner
- Thorough knowledge of supervision, fire/rescue techniques and advanced emergency medical treatment practices including, but not limited to: HazMat and technical rescue training
- Proficiency with personal computer software and applications
- General knowledge of tools and equipment including electronic equipment, heavy equipment, fire equipment, air monitoring equipment, emergency equipment and hand/power tools.
- General knowledge of office equipment, including facsimile, photo copier, telephone, calculator and shredder
- Thorough knowledge of city geography
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.