Summary of Position and Duties:
The Human Resources Division of the Village of Addison is accepting applications to fill one (1) vacancy in the at-will, non-exempt, full-time position of Electrician in the Village of Addison Public Works Department, Division of Electrical and Forestry. Under general direction, this person is in charge of maintaining electrical service on Village property and facilities. The person in this position works on electrical projects as needed throughout the Village, such as: street-light construction, repair and maintenance, indoor and outdoor building/public facilities, wiring for electrical service, etc. This person may also have to handle problems or complications in electrical service that may arise within Village buildings or utilities. The person in this position will be required to work weekends in the necessary capacity to complete required tasks. On 24-hour call for any problems, which may occur. Work is of considerable difficulty and is reviewed for progress towards established goals and objectives by the Electrical and Forestry Supervisor or his designee.
The Village reserves the right to re-assign employees in this position to other divisions. Employees temporarily re-assigned to another division will conduct their work under the job description for the position they are assigned to.
The primary responsibility of the Electrician will involve, but not be limited to:
• Requires the ability to understand electrical and mechanical drawings and schematics.
• Ability to safely and properly operate a variety of equipment such as lifts, bucket-trucks, tractors, forklift and other equipment involved in the operations of the Electrical and Forestry Division.
• Extensive use of an aerial bucket truck and aerial lift required.
• Work is routinely outdoors in all environments.
• Extensive street lighting system troubleshooting, construction, repair, removal, maintenance, and installation.
• Repairs and construction are underground and above-ground.
• Performs duties related to construction and maintenance on industrial wiring systems and their various electrical components.
• Troubleshoots any problems or complications in electrical service to Village buildings, facilities and equipment.
• Plans layout of wiring and installs wiring, conduit and electrical apparatus.
• Requires an understanding of current electrical codes, NFPA-70E standards, associated with Arc Flash and safety precautions.
• Ability to safely and properly operate trucks, tools, and equipment involved in department operations and perform said duties in strict accordance with the Department/division SOP/safety manual; may serve on departmental safety committee.
• Acts in support of the Forestry side of the Division.
• Performs preventive maintenance and repair of pumps, motors, blowers, valves, gears, and related items; Performs duties related to construction and maintenance on industrial wiring systems and their various electrical components.
• Assists in ensuring the operation and maintenance efficiency of equipment such as pumps, compressors, screens, gauges, meters, process tanks, etc.
• Acts as an intermediary with Village residents concerning service complaints, writes follow-up reports and maintains necessary records, if needed, prepares required reports and records. Provides said service to customers in a timely, professional and courteous manner.
• Performs minor maintenance on tools and equipment.
• Responds to emergency calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Performs snow-plowing and salting of streets as directed.
• Assists other workers with department operations ensuring assigned tasks are completed accurately, timely, safely, and according to instructed operating procedures. Also assists other workers in specified area(s) of expertise in the operation, instruction and implementation of safe working practices in the operation of all necessary equipment and tools; and, assists with the general preventative maintenance work and repairs on equipment. Maintains buildings, grounds, and related equipment.
• Must wear all required safety equipment (i.e., gloves, ear plugs, etc.) for the duty at hand according to department, equipment and regulatory specifications; report near miss accidents; comply with proper P.P.E. usage and follow required JSA’s; attend all required Village and department training; perform vehicle and work area evaluations (CDL Inspections) according to department specifications and as required on a daily basis; initiate training topics or issues as needed.
• Employee must enter all jobs performed and the time to perform said jobs, on a daily basis, into the Public Works asset management software program, using a tablet or computer. This includes, but is not limited to: creating work orders from assets, adding a sub-task to a work order, adding photos to a work order, adding assets to existing work orders, including a valid address in a location, adding valid and complete crew comments to work orders, changing status of a work order, adding employees, materials, and equipment to a sub-task, populating dates and times in a sub-task, checking for work orders assigned to the employee, reporting problems with selecting any assets, and adding additional time to the employee’s time-sheet as needed.
The Village reserves the right to temporarily re-assign employees in this position to other divisions. Employees temporarily re-assigned to another division will conduct their work under the job description for the position they are assigned to.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to be an eligible candidate for this position:
• Possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Requires a satisfactory working knowledge of electrical equipment acquired through at least five (5) years of experience in the electrical field, such as an in an industrial or utility setting.
• Possession of an electrical license by an authorized agency is preferred.
• Possess a valid Illinois License CDL Class ‘D’ and/or Class ‘B’ or of the classification appropriate to the equipment to be operated free from incidence that may result in license revocation or suspension. If the applicant does not have a valid CDL, they will be required to possess one within six (6) months of hire in order to remain employed by the Village of Addison.
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays, along with any expected/unexpected overtime that may be mandatory.
• Ability to pass a personal interview, physical and drug screen when applicable.
• Be able to successfully utilize Microsoft Office software programs (i.e., Word and Excel) as well as capable of extensive data entry on desktop and mobile devices.
Physical Skills and Abilities Required:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger or handle shovels, rakes, and hand held tools; feel a surface for texture; reach with hands and arms; balance; climb up or down a ladder, hill, stairs, or into a truck; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl at ground level, talk or hear on the phone or in person. Must be capable of turning, twisting, bending, and squatting for frequent but short, periods of time in order to reach for and then use equipment. The employee must frequently lift, push, pull and/or move equipment up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move weight of up to 75 pounds. Employee must be able to climb/crawl into and out of deep ditches and in tight spots. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Employee must be able to properly wear full and half mask respirators when the work task requires it.
The employee must be available and present for work as scheduled; be available for call-out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; and perform all functions of the job safely and efficiently at all times in compliance with all safety regulations and policies for the safety and welfare of the employee, co-workers, and the public.
Work Environment Factors:
Ability to work under conditions that require exposure to environmental factors such as temperature and noise extremes, odors, toxic and/or caustic chemicals and agents, wetness, moving parts, fumes, risk of electrical shock, frequent vibration and disease. This exposure may cause some discomfort and presents a risk of injury. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Requires the ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between characteristics of colors, shapes and sounds associated with job-related objects, materials and tasks.
The annual wage rate for this position is $83,674 – $116,204. The Electrician will receive a very competitive benefit package and work 40 hours per week, plus any required overtime.
Required test and screenings:
The candidate selection process consists of: a review of the candidate’s past work experience/skills and a personal interview. Successful candidates must successfully pass all required screenings and tests administered, when applicable, in order to be a candidate for this position. However, passing all required screenings/tests and completing a personal interview does not guarantee hire by the Village, as the ultimate decision to hire anyone is at the sole discretion of the Village of Addison.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Applications can be obtained at the Village Hall either in the Administration Department, Room 2100, or downloaded from the Village’s website at www.addisonadvantage.org. Applicants will be notified by letter of the test date for this position, where applicable. All completed applications must be directed to the Director of Human Resources/Risk Management, either via regular mail at 1 Friendship Plaza, Addison, Illinois 60101, emailed to email@example.com or submitted personally to the Administration Department, Room 2100 of the Village Hall by no later than 5pm, February 17, 2023. Also, applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one (1) application per person, per testing cycle is accepted.
RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT A COMPLETED APPLICATION.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Please refer to the Village of Addison website: www.Addisonadvantage.org, Division of Human Resources Section, to review a copy of the Village’s policy on Equal Employment Opportunity.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER FOR POTENTIAL APPLICANTS:
Applicants with disabilities, who need accommodations in order to complete any portions of the application/test, should contact the Human Resources Division at 630-693-7504.
** IMPORTANT – APPLICANTS PLEASE READ**
To avoid conflicts of interest and the appearance of favoritism or bias and to enhance supervision, security, and morale, the Village of Addison believes it advisable to prohibit the employment of relatives in a direct supervisory relationship or to prohibit having two (2) relatives employed in the same department/division. In addition, this policy bars the hiring or employment of an employee’s relatives in any position that would:
• Have the potential for creating an adverse impact on work performance; or
• Create either an actual conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest, such as the relative having an auditing or control relationship to the employee’s job.
“Relatives” (including blood/step/in-law/adopted/legal guardian) are defined as spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, child, uncle, aunt, grandparent, grandchild, or any individual with whom an employee has a close personal relationship, such as a domestic partner, co-habitant, or significant other. The same prohibitions apply to employees who marry, cohabitate, or become related by marriage. The provisions of this policy are not limited to personal or familial relationships amongst supervisors, managers, and subordinates. The policy also includes personal and/or familial relationships between individuals working as peers in any department when such relationship actually disrupts the operation of the department or the Village.
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit cms6.revize.com.