The Village of Burr Ridge, with a well‐balanced mix of business and residential areas, beautiful natural settings, and an evolving community experience, is seeking a Planner to assist the Community Development Director with long- and short-range planning. The Village anticipates two large redevelopment proposals totaling 125 acres to begin the entitlement process in the next year. The Planner will serve as the staff liaison for the Plan Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals and work with the public and private developers. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to help facilitate the updating of the Village’s Comprehensive Plan, scheduled to occur in the next three years.
– Serves as staff liaison to the Plan Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals, prepares agendas, coordinates public meetings, and presents staff recommendations on planning and zoning matters, then summarizes the Commission’s findings for the Village Board of Trustees. The Plan Commission meets on the first and third Monday of every month and attendance after normal business hours is required.
– Assists the Community Development Director with reviewing and processing annexation requests.
– Assists with reviewing subdivision requests for compliance with the Subdivision Ordinance. It is anticipated that the Village will be undergoing an update of the Subdivision Ordinance within the next five years and the Planner will assist in this process.
– Reviews building permits for compliance with Zoning and Sign Ordinance regulations.
– Assists the Community Development Director with long- and short-range planning. Assists in establishing planning objectives, prepares amendments to plans, and analyzes ordinances (including Sign, Subdivision, and Zoning) in order to determine deficiencies. Monitors and recommends changes to the Comprehensive Land Use Plan on an as-needed basis. The Village will be undergoing an update of the Comprehensive Plan within the next three years and the Planner will play a pivotal role in this process.
– Assists Community Development staff with zoning or signage related code enforcement matters. Acts as a Village representative to the Administrative Adjudication program on an as-needed basis.
– Assists the Community Development Director with economic development activities as needed, including review of business license applications.
– Engages with developers alongside the Community Development Director. The Village anticipates two large development proposals totaling 125 acres to begin the entitlement process in the next year. As staff liaison for the Plan Commission, the Planner will be instrumental in processing the zoning requests.
– Develops positive working relationships between staff, consultants, residents, and developers related to planning and zoning. Responds to inquiries from developers, realtors, contractors, and the public regarding planning and zoning matters.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Village seeks a confident, open-minded, polite, proactive, and collaborative professional. The preferred candidate will have the following:
– Passion for excellence. Strong project planning and tracking, solid judgment, ability to work independently, and a commitment to keeping Burr Ridge “A Very Special Place.”
– Exceptional communication skills. The Planner will present ideas, information, and concepts to appointed officials, elected officials, management, staff, and the community. As such, the successful candidate must be able to speak and write with excellence while using technology and interpersonal skills to explain an array of complex and technical plans and processes. The Planner must provide excellent customer service.
– A strong background. The successful candidate will possess the necessary traits, skills, and abilities to fulfill all listed responsibilities. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year program is required, while a master’s degree in urban planning, public administration, architecture, or closely related field, and/or certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred. The candidate should also have a minimum of two years of related work or internship experience necessary to gain an understanding of land development or a combination of education and experience.
– In 2021, the Village implemented a Business Development District to redevelop the approximately 130-acre downtown area. This District acts similarly to TIF, except it is funded through sales and hotel taxes instead of property taxes. There is a 15-acre redevelopment site located within this District, expected to begin the entitlement process within the next year. The Planner will assist the Community Development Director to work with the developers, local business owners, and residents, including leading the request through the Village’s review process.
– In 2022, CNH Industrial announced that they were relocating and selling the entirety of their 110-acre facility. CNH Industrial, formerly known as International Harvester, contributed much to the history of the Village of Burr Ridge, including the Village’s original name of Harvester. It is expected that this site will begin the entitlement process within the next year. The Planner will assist the Community Development Director to work with the developers, local business owners, and residents, including leading the request through the Village’s review process.
– The Planner will assist the Community Development Director to lead an overall update of the Village’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan, which was last fully updated in 1999. It is anticipated that the Fiscal Year 2024 or 2025 budgets will include funding for a consultant to assist in this endeavor.
WHY BURR RIDGE?
Burr Ridge is a small community located in both DuPage and Cook Counties, with a mix of industrial, commercial, and residential developments. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to serve as a dedicated staff liaison to a strong Plan Commission, be involved with new redevelopment projects, and update a Comprehensive Plan. This opportunity is ideal for a recent master’s program graduate seeking to start their career in the public sector or a public sector professional seeking a lateral move from an existing Planner position.
The Village is proud to be a workplace which takes your health, both physical and mental, seriously. This person will have a dedicated, unshared office space with a door and windows to work. The Village has instituted a Work from Home Policy, wherein this person may work remotely at the discretion of the Community Development Director. This position will be provided with a new PC laptop as well as other technology necessary to ensure that work may be completed effectively from any location with convenience and confidence. The Village is also committed to your professional development by funding attendance and travel at state and national conferences, trade shows, or other forums beneficial to your career, as well as reimbursement for any expenses necessary to obtain or maintain professional qualifications or certifications, such as AICP.
The Village is pleased to offer a comprehensive employee benefits program that includes medical and dental insurance paid 90% by the organization as well as a complimentary life insurance policy. This position will participate in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund Pension, MissionSquare Retirement plans (formerly ICMA-RC) and an employee wellness program. Paid vacation, four personal, ten sick, and eight holidays are also provided annually. The salary for this exempt position is $65,504 – $94,983 annually, depending on qualifications. Anticipated starting salary is mid-range, +/- $80,000 annually.
For more information about this position or to apply, visit https://www.burr-ridge.gov/. To apply, send your cover letter and résumé with contact information for three professional references to Community Development Director Janine Farrell, email@example.com. Review of applications will occur as they are received, while interviews will be granted to candidates on a timely basis. For inquiries, please call Janine Farrell at (630) 654-8181 x. 6100.
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.burr-ridge.gov.