Fire Inspector – Part Time
The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Fire Inspector, in a part-time capacity, in the Fire Department. This position prevents/reduces fire loss by implementing community fire prevention safety programs and through the enforcement of fire and building codes. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable in building and fire codes, be skilled in public relations, with the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
Major Duties and Functions:
– Surveys new and existing structures to ensure compliance with applicable fire and building codes. Recommends corrective action and issues citations for violations when appropriate
– Acts as a resource for property owners and tenants to promote fire and life safety
– Provides information to fire suppression personnel on fire alarms, sprinkler systems, fire pumps, standpipes, flammable and hazardous materials and other related topics
– Responds to questions and concerns from the public concerning possible fire code violations. Investigates complaints and takes appropriate action
– Inspects fire alarms, sprinkler systems, fire pumps, commercial cooking equipment and other miscellaneous fire systems
– Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required:
– Basic computer skills
– Strong interpersonal skills
– Strong communication skills both oral and written
Education and Experience: Associates degree, plus three to five years of experience. Any combination of education and experience which produces the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Licenses and Certifications:
– Fire Prevention Officer I or equivalent required
– Valid Illinois Driver’s License
Additional Supplementary training preferred: ICC Fire Inspector I and NFPA Fire Plans Examiner
Salary and Benefits: The full salary range for this position is $31.17 to $42.86, hourly. The starting salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. This role offers an Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) pension for working over 1,000 hours annually.
APPLY NOW! Interested candidates may apply by clicking “Apply” below. Only online applications, with attached resumes, will be accepted, with the exception of providing reasonable accommodations. Position open until filled.
The Village of Downers Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). For more information, or for assistance, please contact the Human Resource Department at (630) 434-5500.
To apply for this job please visit villageofdownersgroveilemployees.munisselfservice.com.