The Village is accepting applications for a Staff Engineer I in the Public Works Department. A
successful candidate understands engineering processes, proactively identifies and resolves
problems, and is familiar with municipal infrastructure systems. This position works with the rest
of the Engineering team to prepare plans and specifications, inspect construction projects, and
provide contract administration on capital improvements in the public right-of-way. The ideal
candidate will be capable of managing municipal engineering projects with guidance from senior
Engineers from design through construction, including drafting and plan preparation,
construction inspection, and project documentation. Village staff take pride in providing
exceptional customer service to the residents and visitors of the Village.
Major Duties and Functions:
● Provides support on capital infrastructure projects including planning, permitting,
surveying, design, and plan review.
● Prepares preliminary budget estimates, contract specifications, bid documents,
construction administration and inspection for capital construction projects.
● Responds to citizen inquiries and/or complaints regarding utilities, drainage, and
construction work; researches inquiry/complaint; verifies and resolves.
● Investigates concerns and coordinates solutions with other staff members.
● Provides technical assistance to residents and businesses.
● Ensures construction complies with Village codes and ordinances in addition to
compliance with contract specifications.
● Assists other Engineering staff members with additional duties, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
● Knowledge of Civil Engineering principles and practices.
● Knowledge of and the ability to use surveying equipment.
● Knowledge of construction project scheduling and accounting.
● Knowledge of reading and interpreting architectural and civil drawings and maps.
● Skillful in drafting and plan preparation.
● Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing, particularly in the area of
Mental and Physical Ability:
● Analytical abilities necessary to apply technical knowledge to practical use by gathering
information and producing designs, plans, specifications and reports.
● Moderate amount of physical effort required to perform field surveys. Ability to work in
inclement weather and stamina to sustain walking through natural areas, climbing on
uneven terrain without a loss of productivity or quality of work.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field, or any
combination of education and experience which produces the required knowledge, skills, and
This is a full-time, exempt position. Must be available to work occasional weekend and evening
hours, as assigned. A valid driver’s license is required and Engineering Intern certification is a
plus, but is not required.
Salary Range: $69,422 – $95,456 annually. Starting salary is dependent on qualifications, but
in most cases is no higher than the midpoint of the range. The Village provides an excellent
benefits package, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, and participation in the
Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
APPLY NOW! Interested applicants may apply online at www.downers.us. Position open until
The Village of Downers Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, or
assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at (630) 434-5500.
To apply for this job email your details to LLinares@downers.us