The Village of Downers Grove is seeking a Transportation Manager who will be responsible for the
overall planning and management of the Village’s transportation system, performing a variety of
transportation planning and engineering functions, in support of various vehicular, pedestrian and
bicycle safety and control programs. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, innovative
thinker, and be comfortable working in a dynamic team environment with both Village staff and
members of the public.
Major Duties and Functions:
● Monitors transportation networks for flow and safety problems and performs field studies and
analyses; makes recommendations from those studies
● Manages traffic infrastructure, including Village owned traffic signals and equipment; procures
and oversees related contracts
● Acts as staff liaison to the Transportation and Parking Commission and other local government
entities including schools, townships, county and state
● Acts as a resource for Community Development and other Village departments for
transportation and parking matters, provides coordination with those Village departments on
various projects, and reviews transportation related aspects of proposed development plans
● Supports and monitors bicycle, pedestrian and parking systems
● Coordinates Village responses to neighborhood traffic and parking issues, requests and
● Procures and coordinates consultants to prepare neighborhood traffic studies, and implements
recommendations from those studies
● Coordinates with the Village’s sign shop and various contractors to obtain traffic counts, and
maintain signage and pavement striping throughout the Village
● Reviews and coordinates IDOT and DuPage County DOT projects within the Village limits
● Responds to resident inquiries related to transportation issues
● Supports planning efforts related to transportation
● Coordinates the application and administration of transportation related grants
● Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
● Knowledge of basic theories and applications of transportation planning and engineering
● Strategic and analytical thinking
● Knowledge of relevant Federal, State and Village standards, codes and ordinances
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills; both oral and written
● Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings and maps.
● Demonstrates knowledge of current trends and developments in traffic control and maintenance
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s’ degree from an accredited college or university, with major
coursework in civil engineering, transportation planning or a related field. Minimum of four years of
progressively responsible experience in transportation planning and/or engineering, or any combination
of education and experience which produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Licenses and Certifications: A Valid Illinois Class D Driver’s License required. A Registered
Professional Engineering (PE) License, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification or
Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) certification preferred.
Salary and Benefits: $92,279 – $126,884, with starting salary up to $110,735, DOQ. The Village
provides an excellent benefits package, including health insurance, dental and vision insurance, and
participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
APPLY NOW! Interested applicants may apply online at www.downers.us. Position open until filled.
The Village of Downers Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, or for
assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at (630) 434-5500.
To apply for this job email your details to LLinares@downers.us