The Village of Glen Ellyn’s Facilities Maintenance Division is recruiting for one (1) part-time custodian position. The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintaining, cleaning and securing Village buildings and facilities including outdoor areas as assigned. Performs some basic maintenance duties, including changing light bulbs and painting. Performs room set ups and take downs for meetings and special events; and completes sidewalk snow/ice removal maintenance activities during winter months. Provides courteous and efficient service to the Village employees, residents and the general public; and performs other related duties as assigned. Reports directly to the Facilities Manager.
• Identify and report the need for repairs.
• Inspect and clean building grounds and common areas; pick up litter and other debris.
• Assist with regulating building ventilation and temperature in accordance with established policies.
• Maintain custodial supplies and equipment; stock inventory of maintenance supplies and materials in assigned areas.
• Sweep, mop, scrub, wax, strip and polish floors; vacuum carpets.
• Dust and polish furniture, woodwork, fixtures and equipment.
• Clean desks, tables and countertops; and wash windows and walls.
• Empty and clean trash receptacles.
• Clean and disinfect restrooms; replenish and maintain restroom supplies.
• Move and arrange furniture and equipment; set up rooms for special meetings or events; and monitor events to ensure internal/external customer satisfaction.
• Lock and unlock doors; open and close Village buildings.
• Perform light/routine maintenance, as directed; replace light bulbs/fixtures, and adjust shades and blinds; and cross train to complete various other light maintenance activities, as required.
• Shovel snow and operate snow blower and salt spreader as part of the snow and ice management for the Village Civic Center.
• Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, and at least one (1) year of experience in general custodial maintenance is preferred.
• Basic knowledge and previous experience using hand tools; previous experience painting and performing light maintenance work is ideal; ability to operate commercial custodial equipment (e.g. vacuum, floor scrubber, etc.) and basic snow removal equipment is required.
• Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to changing situations is also an important skill set. Qualified applicants should also be able to demonstrate the ability to effectively solve problems and exercise good judgment, and be willing to cross-train in various maintenance duties.
• The ability to develop positive working relationships with the general public, contractors, and Village staff is a critical skill set.
• Must possess the ability to comprehend, retain, and apply Village rules and procedure manuals, including any pertinent Federal, State, or local laws.
• Ability to take control of situations and work independently in the absence of supervision.
• Ability to adhere to schedules for cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities; must also possess the ability to effectively plan work and establish priorities.
• Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and the general public in both written and verbal form.
• Intermediate skills in the operation of computers and related software is required.
• Candidates must possess (and maintain throughout employment) a valid motor vehicle driver’s license at time of application.
• Physical Activities: The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, sitting, standing, bending, reaching, climbing, walking, lifting and/or moving (up to 50 pounds), grasping, pushing/pulling, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, climbing ladders and stairs, driving, and various repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Employee occasionally works around vibrations and noise, heights, and is exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals most typically associated with custodial work. Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
WORK SCHEDULE: The average work hours will range from 20 to 28 hours per week. The typical work schedule will be Monday – Thursday, 5:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Candidate should be flexible and able to work additional hours, or occasional weekend hours, as needed, for training, holidays, vacations, and/or emergency situations. Must be willing and able to respond to after-hours call-backs and be prepared for and confront emergency conditions as necessary.
SALARY/BENEFITS: The starting base pay offered for this position is $18.47/hr to $28.04/hr DOQ. This position participates in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) defined benefit pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, a resume and an employment application (click here) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
2. Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #46-22 Custodian II) in the subject line of their e-mail.
3. The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer medical physical with a drug screen.
4. The position is open until filled; however, first review of applicants will begin on November 28, 2022, at 4:30 p.m. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com