The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking to hire one (1) full-time Building Official. The job duties of the position include, but are not limited to, administering the provisions of the Glen Ellyn zoning code, building code, and fire code in an efficient, effective, and fair manner to ensure that the health, safety, and welfare of the residents and the general public are promoted and protected. Also manages the Building Division staff, as well as the building permit and inspection, stormwater, and code enforcement process; and provides responsive, courteous, and efficient service to Village residents, businesses, and the general public. Other related duties as assigned. The position reports directly to the Community Development Director and serves as Acting Director in their absence.
• Administer the primary functions of the Building Division through coordination within the Department and with the Administration, Public Works, and Finance Departments, Village consultants, and other governmental agencies as necessary.
• Oversee the building permit process to ensure compliance with technical requirements of all applicable building codes and other regulatory agencies.
• Manage the inspection process to ensure existing and new buildings meet all Village code requirements.
• Manage code compliance and the resolution of resident complaints and conflicts with construction work or related conditions through requests for corrective actions and, if necessary, application of the enforcement and penalty provisions of the zoning and building codes, including inspections, violation notices, citations, fines, and court actions.
• Assist in the preparation of the Department’s budget.
• Implement and maintain the current software program and eliminate non-value-added processes.
• Amend existing Village codes to ensure that they meet the changing needs of the Village, address new governmental agency regulations, and include building industry advances in materials and equipment.
• Serve as liaison to the Building Board of Appeals. Assist the Planning Division, as needed, with other Commissions and Boards.
• Interpret building and zoning codes as needed for staff and external and internal customers.
• Supervise the Building Division Staff, which includes permit coordinator, permit clerks, plan examiner, senior building inspector, building inspectors, and fire inspectors.
• Provide training and guidance toward the development of employees.
• Oversee consultants
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, construction management, or related field (preferred).
• ICC certification – Certified Building Official is preferred (or the ability/willingness to obtain within the first 1-2 years of employment). Master Code Professional (MCP) certification is a plus.
• Five to seven years of experience of increasingly responsible experience is required; municipal experience is preferred; previous supervisory experience is required; or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
• Ability to take control of situations, think quickly, and adapt to stressful situations is a must; and the ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems is also required.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and organize workload.
• Ability to instruct and train in methods and procedures; must be able to delegate activities in an effective and responsible manner.
• Ability to prepare and administer employee performance evaluations and make recommendations regarding promotions, raises, or discipline.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing is a must.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations is also required.
• Ability to interpret zoning code, building code, sign code, stormwater code, and fire code respectively; must also possess the ability to comprehend, retain and apply Village, State, and Federal policies and legislation, local ordinances, procedure manuals, etc.
• Ability to operate various types of standard office equipment, including computers and related software (e.g. MS Office suite); previous experience utilizing building permit computer software programs, such as Munis, is a plus.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of application.
The salary range for this position is $88,118 to $133,940. Anticipated starting salary for this full-time, exempt position is +/- $115,000/year with a full range of benefits offered. Actual starting salary is negotiable and will be dependent upon qualifications, experience, and professional achievement.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and employment application (click here) to email@example.com . Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
2. Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #47-22 Building Official) in the subject line of their e-mail.
3. The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and post offer medical physical with a drug screening.
4. Position is open until filled. First review of resumes will begin on November 28th at 4:30 p.m.
Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org