If you’re an IT professional who loves helping people and maintaining a resilient network, apply today to be the Village of Glencoe’s Support and Network Engineer!
What the job is: The Support and Network Engineer supports the Village’s information technology systems and operations, including network hardware, software, network security and communications systems. As the Support and Network Engineer you’ll work directly with coworkers across all departments of the Village to provide IT support and training, partner with all departments to help identify technology solutions to meet their changing operational needs and improve efficiency. You’ll be a cyber security champion, putting in place security infrastructure and providing security training to users. You’ll be an IT support hero, operating the help desk and assisting users with their daily support needs. Your work – the Village’s technology environment – will be at the forefront of customer service by maintaining functional hardware and systems that are the backbone of all Village operations and services, and you’ll provide exceptional customer service to your teammates across the Village. The Support and Network Engineer will report to the Technology and Strategy Manager, adding new resources to the Village’s IT staffing to continue recognizing the organization’s growing IT support needs.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization.
As an employer, Glencoe offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package, generous vacation and sick leave, a paid family care leave program, flexible work options, IMRF pension and great health insurance options.
Our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In our most recent community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
Here’s what you’ll do in a typical day (and a few special projects):
• Support the day-to-day operations of the IT function by performing support work, overseeing work performed by contractors, assisting IT infrastructure planning, communicating with users regarding technology needs and partnering with departments to implement solutions
• Serve as the network/systems administrator for the Village
• Directly or indirectly (by oversight of contractors) plan, procure, install, configure and deploys firewalls, servers, switches, controllers and other IT hardware, software (including software as a service agreements and software licenses), voice and data systems and virtual private network; administer the Village’s mobile device program; schedules and completes upgrades
• Assist with maintaining an IT organization plan, a security plan and a disaster recovery plan, taking into account changes in technology assets and potential threats; conducts testing and training to support security and disaster recovery plans
• Protect data from breaches through planning and adherence to a backup plan, installation and maintenance of network security devices; conducts network monitoring; researches and develops security policies, conducts user training to promote security
• Assist with the development and implementation of long-range technology improvement projects, including development of the IT operating budget and capital budget; procure technology assets and services in accordance with the Village’s purchasing procedures
• Work collaboratively with departments to evaluate operational needs and technology solutions
• Manage the Village’s device replacement program, maintain inventory of devices issued to users and replacement schedules
• Assist with development of IT use policies and procedures in line with industry best practices
• Maintain qualifications required to obtain and maintain credentials to access and support law enforcement technology assets
• Create and maintain network documentation
• Provide and model outstanding customer service in person and over the telephone
• Develop and produce statistical reports to be used for decision-making purposes
• Respond to after-hours emergencies as needed and attends evening meetings as required
• Support the Village’s strategic plan in daily work and special projects
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a related field and one to three years of related work experience; or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience
• Strong knowledge of network management, Microsoft technology, Hyper-V environment, Cisco technology and infrastructure in a LAN WAN environment, Cisco unified communication system VMware environment, best practices in security and Criminal Justice Information System compliance requirements
• Strong project management skills
Interpersonal and Communication
• Excellent customer service skills
• Great communication skills and ability to explain complex technical matters to individuals with or without technical knowledge
• Ability to work independently and with teams, and supervise IT staff or contractors
• Maintain strong working relationship coworkers and open communication with all staff
• Commitment to maintain strict confidentiality of private, sensitive or confidential information; high level of trustworthiness; ability to pass criminal justice information systems (CJIS) background check and maintain CJIS compliance
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• Frequent lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
• Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces); talking and listening
• Operate a light duty Village vehicle to travel between facilities
• Walking, grasping, lifting and carrying objects; reaching, operating hand controls and office equipment
• Strong emphasis on workplace safety
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage frequent interruptions
• Ability to respond to after-hours emergencies remotely or in person, depending on the circumstances
The salary range for the position is $78,422 to $105,870 and the position is classified as FLSA exempt (not eligible to earn overtime). The Village offers great benefits, including Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance among others.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 23-06 Support and Network Engineer in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled, and first application review will take place as applications are received.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com