The Village of La Grange Park, Illinois (population 13,475) is seeking an approachable problem solver with an engaging personality to join their dedicated leadership team as the Director of Building and Inspectional Services. This position reports to the Village Manager.
La Grange Park, a charming residential community located in the near west suburbs of Chicago, is known for its excellent schools, highly accessible location, and stable political climate. La Grange Park employees work in a culture of care focused on providing services that offer their residents a high quality of life.
This position manages and coordinates all activities of building, plumbing, electrical, and code enforcement inspectors and private engineering contractors, ensuring the overall effectiveness of services rendered; oversees one full-time municipal employee and various contractors; provides long-term planning for the Building and Inspectional Services Department and service needs of the community; and makes policy recommendations to the Village Manager regarding budget, personnel, regulatory requirements, equipment, and general operational needs. Candidates must possess and maintain a valid Illinois Driver’s License. Honesty and integrity are critical.
Highly qualified individuals will be expected to have:
• A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in an inspectional services field, preferably in the municipal environment, including one (1) to three (3) years of experience in a supervisory role.
• A degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in construction management, architecture, engineering, or a closely related field. Training and experience, along with a combination of relative ICC Certifications, may be substituted for advanced academic degree.
• Considerable knowledge of residential and commercial building and property maintenance codes governing new and existing structures, including at the local, state, and federal levels.
• The ability to comprehend architectural and engineering plans, product specification sheets, and other documents related to construction and development.
• The ability to conduct comprehensive plan review for residential and commercial construction.
• The ability to conduct footing, foundation, flatwork, framing, insulation, electrical, and related inspections related to construction.
• The ability to ensure code compliance and impartial enforcement of all pertinent municipal ordinances related to property maintenance and construction.
• The ability to manage, mentor, and interact with all staff, with flexibility in an effort to balance the needs of the community and workforce.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise contractual personnel to insure high levels of performance and professionalism.
• Excellent public relations skills and good written communication skills.
The salary range for this full-time, exempt position is $98,000 to $128,000. The expected starting salary is $113,000 +/- depending on qualifications and experience, plus an excellent benefits package, including ongoing educational opportunities.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and Village Employment Application, including three professional references, via email to email@example.com. Applications are due on Friday, January 27, 2023. Questions should be directed to Maggie Jarr, Assistant Village Manager. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and drug screen.
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.lagrangepark.org.