Perform field and office work related to building permits, building codes, subdivision infrastructure and ordinances of the Village of Mahomet. This position will also enforce compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, rules, and regulations of the Village by responding to citizen complaints, investigating, and documenting violations and taking corrective action. This work is performed under the direction of the Code Compliance Manager.
Provide excellent customer service and have excellent communication skills to perform routine and complex work associated with inspections and code compliance for the Village of Mahomet.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions
• Reviews and approves building and code compliance related permits.
• Enforces the Zoning, Building and Property Maintenance Codes and introduces amendments as needed.
• Completes or coordinates various onsite inspections of work performed at various stages of home and accessory structure construction to ensure code compliance with approved drawings.
• May be required to perform some routine semi-skilled and technical construction inspection work for environmental, water, sewer, street and other public works projects and programs so that all Federal, State, and local codes and standards and contractual provisions are met and development construction to ensure compliance with approved drawings.
• Meet with residents and contractors to review permitted work and provide necessary direction for compliance with codes and ordinances.
• Performs a variety of routine and complex technical work to ensure building sites; driveways; water and sewer connections; occupancy; and other codes and standards are met.
• Enforces building related codes, including Minimum Housing Standards Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Wastewater Connection Ordinance, Water Connection Ordinance, Stormwater Management Ordinance, Flood Hazard Regulations, and local codes such as sprinkling, nuisance, clearing, grading, filling, and zoning, etc. Issues correction notices, stop work notices, condemnations, and citations.
• Performs site inspections, examining for setbacks, correct lot coverage, lot location for posting of lot numbers and lot addresses, etc.; ensures that codes are adhered to.
• Performs driveway inspections, examining for compliance with Village code and subdivision plans.
• Performs occupancy inspections to examine final construction for correctly installed addresses, sump pumps, plumbing for cross connections, lot grading and other Village ordinance requirements.
• Prepare inspection reports on permitted work for the Code Compliance Manager.
• Ensure optimal level of customer service at all times and maintain effective relationships with employees, officials, contractors, and residents.
• Analyze various work sites and recommend changes or modifications to improve ordinance compliance.
• Assists in researching problems and complaints regarding commercial and residential buildings, building construction and code compliance; responds to complex and sensitive building issues.
• Responds to complaints of potential code violations relating to signing, building occupancy, nuisances, hazardous conditions, housing conditions, construction, land use, zoning, animals, noise, dumping, clearing, grading, filling, polluting, or other code related matters.
• Investigates complaints regarding violations of codes and property maintenance issues; determines validity of complaints, documents violations and advises owners/occupants of actions necessary to correct the conditions; takes measures to enforce compliance with the applicable codes.
• Provides information to persons who request information or assistance in code enforcement related matters.
• Maintains a variety of logs and records related to inspection and enforcement activities; prepares recommendations for amendments and additions to codes or regulations which relate to the position.
• Coordinates enforcement activity with department personnel and other Village employees.
• Communicate with other departments for various inspection needs.
• Assist the Village with Geographical Information Systems (GIS) functions.
• Maintains project and address files for various building and compliance related projects and inquiries.
• Performs property or code research as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• This position requires a working knowledge of building codes and ordinances.
• The ability to work with minimal supervision; prepare technical reports and documents in a clear and concise manner; work well with Village personnel, trades contractors and, can communicate both orally and in writing.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Thorough knowledge of local codes and ordinances, and state laws relating to the enforcement of Village of Mahomet building, subdivision infrastructure and zoning standards & codes.
• Ability to effectively communicate with the public and other staff related to codes, standards, and related compliance issues.
• Ability to enforce regulations with firmness, tact, while using solid customer service skills.
• Knowledge of Village geography and infrastructure.
• Possess or ability to obtain certification in the International Code Counsel Codes as adopted by the Village of Mahomet (current code is the 2015 IRC) Certification in newer codes welcome.
• Working knowledge of National Electrical Code.
• Must be a problem solver, the ability to keep calm under pressure, the ability and motivation to provide outrageously excellent service.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple projects and tasks.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Recommended Education & Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Building trades or some college preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in building trades or building inspections, or 2 years of local government experience in code enforcement or related area.
• Higher experience level candidates (10+ years) are encouraged to apply and will be given full consideration. Position title change may be considered, dependent on qualifications.
• Knowledge of and or experience with ESRI Field maps and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) is preferred.
Community Relations Functions:
• Works with residents, village staff, outside agency staff, developers, local landowners, consultants, and members of the board of trustee address concerns and requests.
• Demonstrated customer service experience.
• Normal 40-hour work week, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.
Duties are generally performed in an outdoor setting, regardless of inclement weather conditions and/or extreme/adverse temperatures.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to stand, walk, and sit, talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and move equipment and large plan sets. Visual and auditory acuity, natural or corrected; ability to perform light to moderate work requiring climbing, balancing, bending, stooping, twisting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling; ability to sit to perform computer work or stand/walk for upwards of 4 hours per day (with breaks); ability to climb ladders and stairs; ability to work in confined spaces. Possible stress due to lack of resources, ongoing conflicts, and multitasking challenges.
Pre-employment screening is required.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
The Code Compliance Inspector reports directly to the Code Compliance Manager with general guidance from the Village Administrator.
• $50,000 to $70,000, depending on experience.
(Higher experience level candidates (10+ years) are encouraged to apply)
For more information, contact: