Under the direction of the Village Administrator, the Economic Development Specialist will focus on attracting new businesses, retailers, office complexes, warehousing, and other new commercial developments. Propose creative solutions for redevelopment and revitalization projects and other development challenges. Implement programs related to economic development, assist in commercial area redevelopment, and other short and long-term economic planning efforts. Experience with TIF Districts preferred. Assists in providing regular Economic Development related updates and recommendations to the Village Board and Administrator.
Provide excellent customer service and have excellent communication skills to perform routine and complex work associated with the economic development efforts of the Village of Mahomet.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of zoning and urban planning, economic development, real estate, and political factors factoring into development projects.
• Familiarity and/or experience with commercial real estate sector including site selection; ability to assess the needs of potential tenants and available locations.
• Understanding processes and experiences building and maintaining strong, collaborative working relationships with the business leaders, property owners, federal, state, regional and local economic development partners, Chamber of Commerce, and other stakeholders.
• Economic development related grant writing and facilitation.
• Conducting needs assessments, research and contacting prospective retailers, restaurants, office buildings, warehousing, and other commercial businesses as part of Village-wide attraction and recruitment efforts and effective follow-up.
• Work is in support of enhancing retail and restaurant development throughout all of the commercial areas of the Village.
• Leverage an optimistic and professional attitude; work collaboratively, build strong working relationships and provide exceptional customer service.
• Manage programs such as economic development marketing events, broker tours, etc. Provide organizational support and assistance for events run by partner economic development organizations such as the Mahomet Area Chamber of Commerce, Champaign County Chamber of Commerce, and the Champaign County Economic Development Corporation.
• Ability to maintain confidential information.
• Manage competing priorities and work effectively under time constraints and other pressures.
• Proactively focus on attracting business development and real estate investment including economic development projects, business attraction and expansion, redevelopment, revitalization, and reuse of vacant structures.
• Assists with the economic development marketing program and the promotion of the Village as an ideal location for business and industry.
• Develop marketing programs, materials, graphics, and content and maintain marketing and property materials for business and development recruitment.
• Create and maintain a Village’s databases for available properties and sites.
• Provide site information to potential businesses and developers for recruitment or expansion.
• Attends meetings making presentations, coordinating, and facilitating discussions, providing reliable information on economic development issues, prepare and present activity updates, and provides a positive and collaborative impression of the Village.
• Connects with existing and new businesses about Village procedures, plans, location opportunities, and other business resources.
• Assists in the development and administration of financial incentive programs; plans and implements various projects related to economic development that include, but are not limited to, tax increment financing and Commercial Core Façade Grant Program.
• Analyzes economic data and prepares long-term business and financial forecasts and insights.
• Collects and compiles relevant census and statistical information as well as maintenance of business lists, building and space-available inventories, market absorption dynamics, and similar information needed by prospective businesses.
• Assists in the administration of tax increment finance (TIF) districts and other financial and technical incentive programs.
• Works with business to support development of business and corridor identity.
• Assists Village residents and businesses with questions regarding economic development.
• Performs property or business research as needed.
• Maintains project files for various economic development initiatives.
• May represents Village at civic and other meetings.
• Maintains and upgrades the Village’s Economic Development website.
• Analyzes requests for redevelopment assistance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, urban planning, building and permits, small business planning, operations, finance, and assistance.
• Working knowledge of Tax Increment Financing, Enterprise Zones, and Special Service Area Financing.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required for report writing and verbal presentations for businesses and merchant groups, and the ability to interpret and communicate applicable regulations and policies.
• Ability to carry out complex research assignments independently.
• Strong analytical, data processing, research, and organizational skills required.
• Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement.
• Strong ability to use and learn computer applications and website maintenance.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Recommended Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in or equivalent in business, marketing, economics, urban planning, or public administration or related field; plus
• Minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in a local government, quasi-governmental or private sector setting, demonstrating experience and success in economic development or similar field.
• Higher experience level candidates (10+ years) are encouraged to apply and will be given full consideration. Position title change may be considered, dependent on qualifications.
• Experience grant writing, facilitation and agency process is a plus.
Community Relations Functions:
• Works with residents, village staff, outside agency staff, developers, local landowners, consultants, and members of the board of trustee address concerns and requests.
• Normal 40-hour work week, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
The Economic Development Specialist reports directly to the Village Administrator.
• $55,000 to $75,000, depending on qualification and experience.
(Higher experience level candidates (10+ years) are encouraged to apply)
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.mahomet-il.gov.