Job Title: Director of Public Works
Department: Public Works Department
Reports To: Village Administrator
Located in Cook County, Illinois, the Village and its neighbor to the east, Harwood Heights, together form an enclave within the City of Chicago (i.e., they are completely surrounded by the city). Norridge is sometimes referred to as the “Island Within a City”. Norridge’s population stands at 15,251 residents. The Village infrastructure covers an area of two square miles. It has 31.65 miles of streets, 55 miles of sidewalks and over 5,727 homes, and 3,991 families residing in the Village.
The Village of Norridge operates under the Village Trustee form of government and has a Village President and 6 Trustees. There is a strong commitment to professional management within the organization. The Village Administrator is contracted for appointment with the consent of the Village Board. Norridge’s workforce is 65 full-time employees, 25 part-time employees, and 30 members on various boards and commissions. There are seven Department Heads. Departments include Administration, Finance, Police, Water, Public Works, Building/Health, and Village Properties.
The Village seeks its next Director of Public Works to lead a well-respected and professional Department. The Director of Public Works is appointed by the Village President, with concurrence of the Village Trustees, and reports to the Village Administrator. The Department has a 15.5 million budget (3.2 million Street Dept. plus 12.3 million Water Dept.). The Director oversees 12 employees (2 Bus Drivers, 7 Street Dept. Laborers, 2 Water Dept. Laborers and the PW Superintendent).
The Director of Public Works is responsible for municipal projects including planning and directing the design and construction of street improvements, sanitary and storm sewers, water distribution lines, drainage structures, traffic control systems, and other public works or utility projects. The Director plans, directs, coordinates, and controls the efficient and effective operations of all public works functions including Village streets, sidewalks, water mains, sanitary sewers lines, storm sewers, public works facility, two water pumping stations and one storm water pumping station. The Director performs complex supervisory functions and oversees the Public Works Superintendent, Public Works Laborers and Water Department laborers. The Director must also coordinate assigned activities with other Village Departments and outside agencies.
The Director works under the supervision of the Village Administrator. The Director provides administrative and policy direction on public works matters and advises the administration on capital improvement issues and concerns. The Director is an integral part of the Village’s executive leadership team, collaborating with the other Department Directors and staff on interdepartmental issues.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTED EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experiences. Any combination of experience and training that would demonstrate the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• 5 Years of comprehensive experience in public works administrative functions, including a minimum of 3 years supervisory and project management experience.
• Knowledge of municipal practices.
• Knowledge of construction codes.
• Master’s Degree in construction management, urban planning, public administration, or closely related field.
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering or a related field or licensed Professional Engineer preferred.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and theory in the fields of civil and environmental engineering.
• Class C Public Water Supply Water Operator License, or must obtain within one year of hire date.
• Experience working with streets, water systems and all infrastructure.
• Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing with employees, other supervisors and department heads, public officials, vendors, contractors, and Village residents and maintain effective working relationships.
• Must be able to exercise sound judgement and make decisions.
• Must be a team player and be highly collaborative.
• Ability to lead and direct employees in achieving assignments.
• Be available 24 hours a day for emergency situations.
• Knowledge of OSHA worker safety laws.
• Knowledge of local, State and Federal laws, regulations and programs regarding public works activities, programs, and services.
COMPENSATION AND HOW TO APPLY:
The annual salary range is $110,000-$130,000 with excellent benefits. The Village of Norridge is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Interested candidates must submit required paperwork (cover letter, resume, and a list of five references) in confidence via email to Employment_App@villageofnorridge.com
The Director of Public Works Position is open until filled. If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, you must remit all required paperwork (cover letter, resume, and a list of five references).
Applicants for this position who are selected as finalists will be subject to a background screening. Pre-employment process following conditional job offer will include a full background investigation, including but not limited to drug and alcohol screening, physical examination, and psychological evaluation. References will be contacted only following candidate approval. If you have questions about this process, email or call Village Administrator Joanna Skupien (708-453-0800 – email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to Employment_App@villageofnorridge.com