Engineer – Staff
Public Works Department
The Village of Plainfield is looking to hire a full-time Staff Engineer or Engineer In Training (EIT). The job
duties of this position require the individual to plan, coordinate and supervise the activities of Public
Works projects and maintenance improvements, as well as, complete site plan review functions. This
position will be under the supervision of the Director of Public Works and/or other Public Works
Managers as assigned.
• Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
• Supervises the overall development of plans and specifications for projects assigned.
• Coordinates the planning, design and construction of each improvement with the appropriate
in-house staff member(s), other Village Departments and outside consultant.
• Performs the review of public and private developments plans for conformance to applicable
Village Ordinances, included but not limited to Storm Water Drainage and Detention and Special
Flood Hazard areas.
• Completes the required inspection of existing pavement, curbing, sidewalk, storm sewer, street
lighting and other public improvements to determine the need for repair and/or replacement.
• Participates in the development of the five-year public works improvement program and other
long-term planning programs.
• Completes the necessary work to ensure that projects and maintenance improvements are
completed in a timely manner as assigned.
• Provides direction to the staff public improvement inspectors as needed.
• Programs and maintains traffic data collection devices on an ongoing basis.
• Assists in the creation of various visual exhibits for project specific, historical or general uses as
• Participates in the development and administration of the required budget for certain projects
and maintenance improvements.
• Forecasts funds needed for equipment, materials and supplies to support the operations of
certain functions within the Public Works department.
• Recommends the approval of expenditures and adjustment in contract values as necessary.
Completes letters, memorandums and reports as required.
• Provides staff assistance to the Public Works Director as required.
• Participates and attends professional group meetings; initiates and maintains contacts with
local, state and federal regulatory agencies to facilitate compliance with applicable regulations.
• Provides assistance in preparing and participating in public presentations, open house events,
and other related events as required.
• Participates and attends Village Board and committee meetings as required.
• Engineering degree from a four-year college or university and one year of related experience
and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with public and private plan review and storm water related review.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial
reports, and legal documents.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or
members of the business community.
• Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and
• Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of
• Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic
equations, and permutations.
• Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination
of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to
interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and
deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have, including but not limited to,
knowledge of Database software; Design software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and
Word Processing software, CADD (AutoCAD/Micro Station), GIS related programs.
• The applicant shall have the knowledge equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
from an accredited college; at least three years’ work experience in the transportation,
municipal engineering and traffic related fields and/or equivalent combination, is also required.
• The applicant shall be enrolled as an Engineer In Training (EIT) or licensed as a Professional
Engineering (P.E.) within the State of Illinois and must also possess and retain a valid Illinois
State driver’s license. Preferred qualification includes PE license from the State of Illinois as well
as Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) designation with the State of Illinois.
• The applicant shall have a working knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations and
• The applicant shall be able to pass a pre-employment physical, drug test and background check.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to
finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
• The employee is frequently required to walk and sit.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
and taste or smell.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception and ability to adjust focus.
Starting salary for this full-time exempt position is +/- $80,000 depending on qualifications, with a full
range of benefits offered.
HOW TO APPLY:
Completed applications with resume and a cover letter can be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off at Village Hall or mailed to:
Village of Plainfield
24401 W. Lockport St.
Plainfield, IL 60544
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.plainfieldil.gov.