Superintendent – Streets and Vehicle Maintenance
Public Works Department
The Village of Plainfield is looking to hire a full-time Superintendent for our streets and vehicle maintenance divisions. The job duties of this position require the individual to direct and coordinate the activities of workers engaged in the installation, maintenance and repair of Village owned roadways, signs, streetlights, vehicles, equipment, and grounds.
• Develops annual budget and annual goals and objectives for the Streets, Grounds and Fleet Division. Develops programs for accomplishment of goals and objectives, monitors accomplishment, monitors expenditures, and modifies programs as necessary.
• Plans, reviews, and schedules maintenance, repair, and minor construction work; maintains records of work; supervises and inspects work activities to ensure that schedules are met, and that work is performed in a safe, efficient manner and in accordance with standard operating practices and procedures.
• Administers outside service contracts related to ground maintenance, fleets, public properties and procures needed services and supplies.
• Handles Division personnel functions: interviewing, hiring, new employee orientation and training, disciplinary actions, and performance evaluations.
• Responsible for purchasing all vehicles, equipment, and supplies for the street divisions.
• Responsible for working with the administrative and engineering staff to develop long range improvement and maintenance plans and policies.
• Receives citizen complaints and requests; investigates complaints; plans necessary work; estimates time and materials; assigns crews to perform the work.
• Responds to requests for information and assistance from citizens, other Village departments, and outside agencies and organizations.
• Maintains a safe work environment for employees; assists in the development of safety standards and procedures; instructs employees on safe work procedures.
• Assists outside organizations with special event coordination, setup, take down, and garbage cleanup.
• Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of streets and urban forestry maintenance and repair.
• Provides assistance in preparing and participating in public presentations, open house events, and other related events as required.
• Participates and attends Village Board and committee meetings as required.
Manages three Crew Leaders who supervise a total of 11 full-time employees and part-time seasonal employees in the Streets, Sign, Forestry, Grounds and Vehicle Maintenance Divisions. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Ability to adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with strategic goals.
• Ability to delegate work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results.
• Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
• Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelors degree (B. A.) or equivalent from four-year college or technical school with a Civil Engineering, Public Administration or Project Management focus and five years of responsible experience in street maintenance or construction; where at least four years have been in a supervisory capacity; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software, Spreadsheet software, and Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Successful applicants must possess and maintain a current and valid Class “B” CDL or above Illinois driver’s license.
Applicant must be available for 24-hour emergency call out. Applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, drug test and background check. May be required to assist other divisions in emergency situations.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Starting salary for this full-time exempt position is $96,969-$116,913 depending on qualifications, with a full range of benefits offered.
HOW TO APPLY:
Completed applications with resume and a cover letter can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, dropped off at Village Hall or mailed to:
Village of Plainfield
24401 W. Lockport St.
Plainfield, IL 60544
Go to this link for our application: https://www.plainfieldil.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/2/637371963728900000
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com