NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Engineering Technician (Engineering & Public Works)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $26.85 – $30.12 per hour based on a 35-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $26.85 – $39.93. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position utilizes computer systems, including MicroStation, AutoCAD, Office 365 applications, Adobe PDF, Bluebeam, ArcGIS, and CityWorks for various applications; prepares engineering drawings and various exhibits; assists engineers in various project design applications; maintains records of project site information and other department file management records; reviews and recommends utility permit requests for approval and issuance of permits; provides various services to other Village departments and agencies as necessary. Position requires self-discipline, accurate scheduling, spontaneous problem resolution, excellent verbal and written communication skills. Work performed impacts Village employees, residents, and business owners.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively communicate to a full range of people, prioritize tasks and responsibilities with accuracy, problem solve efficiently, and be able to shift gears comfortably.
1. Coordinates permit applications from various utility companies and conducts in office plan/drawing reviews against village right-of-way ordinances. Recommends approval and issuance of utility permits to the Engineering Division Manager.
2. Acts as liaison to resolve issues between utility companies and village staff, residents, and businesses.
3. Calculates permit fees based on linear footage of underground improvements and manages invoicing for utility company registration and permitting.
4. Communicates, verbally and in writing, complaints/issues with residents and staff related to utility company infrastructure.
5. Responsible to manage special projects, as directed by their supervisor, consisting of small capital projects, project management and coordination among employees and other customers both within and outside of EPW.
6. Prepares computer generated plans, exhibits, and details utilizing MicroStation, AutoCAD, or ArcGIS.
7. Develops own schedule based on work requirements and knowledge of the field.
8. Assists department operational staff in researching JULIE locates.
9. Investigates damages to underground Village infrastructure caused by private utility work.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate Degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field.
2. A minimum of two years of experience using and implementing MicroStation software and/or ArcGIS applications.
3. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
4. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.schaumburg.com.