NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Health Inspector (Community Development)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $33.41 – $37.35 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $33.41 – $49.17. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs inspection work in the enforcement of State laws and regulations, and Village codes and/or ordinances pertaining to public health and sanitation. This position will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people, organize time and resources effectively, have a willingness to learn, and be able to shift gears comfortably.
1. Reviews and approves plans for all, but not limited to food establishments, food trucks, temporary events and festival operations, hair/body salons, animal care facilities, health clubs, hotels/motels, day care facilities, shopping centers, and apartment complexes for compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes, and/or ordinances.
2. Conducts on-site inspections of establishments to ascertain the degree of compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes, and/or ordinances. Discuss findings with person in charge/owner/representative; recommends corrective action. Performs follow-up inspections to ensure correction of deficiencies.
3. Prepares formal complaints for legal action and testifies in court or administrative adjudication as required.
4. Prepares reports of visits, deficiencies noted, efforts at gaining compliance, and recommended follow-up actions.
5. Investigates complaints involving possible sanitary violations or nuisance conditions, prepares reports and recommends corrective action and makes follow up inspections to determine compliance.
6. Inspects residential properties which have identified public health violations.
7. Responds to all emergency situations pertaining to public health.
8. Assists in the planning, development, maintenance and evaluation of community and general environmental health programs in accordance with local and state laws and regulations and good environmental health principles.
9. Conducts epidemiological surveys and seeks unhealthful conditions and methods of control and correction.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health or a related physical or biological science field.
2. A minimum of three years of experience working in the environmental health field.
3. Licensed with the state of Illinois as an Environmental Health Practitioner (LEHP). A candidate with eligibility in the state of Illinois for licensure as an environmental health practitioner may be accepted with commitment to obtain license within one year from date of hire.
4. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
5. Proficiency with current computer technology, job specific software, and customer service systems.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.schaumburg.com.