NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Plans Examiner (Community Development)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING PAY RATE: $33.41 – $41.29 per hour based on a 40-hour workweek. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $33.41 – $49.17. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position reviews and approves plans for residential, commercial/industrial construction, and fire systems submitted to the department and which requires a permit for compliance with International building codes and local ordinances. To succeed in this role applicants will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people, inside and outside the organization. We are looking to add a team member capable of finding solutions and processing change efficiently, while prioritizing requests and responsibilities with accurateness.
1. Reviews and approves or disapproves plans submitted to the department which require a permit for compliance with all building and allied codes and ordinances. Method for reviewing and marking up plans is electronic (digital) means.
2. Reviews plans for such construction as single family homes, town homes, room additions, garages, and other residential construction. Review plans for commercial and industrial buildings. Conducts building, mechanical, electrical, and fire plan reviews with support of other ICC certified colleagues.
3. Reviews plans for both construction and planning purposes; approves permits if acceptable.
4. Verifies licensure of professional whom submitted plans, where applicable.
5. Develops daily schedule based on work requirements.
6. Answers questions from homeowners and developers about permit requirements, building and zoning codes, and related questions. May periodically serve as a village representative to resolve differences between homeowners and builders.
7. Designs address maps to assign and record addresses properties and individual tenant spaces throughout the village. Updates applicable village property databases by coordination with the village GIS Manager.
8. Reviews and resolves citizen and other complaints. As necessary, locates and submits any related code sections and attempts to resolve said complaint or code infraction informally between all parties involved, as directed by the Building Supervisor.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate’s Degree in Architecture, Construction Engineering, or closely related field.
2. A minimum of five (5) years of experience in reading, interpreting, and/or designing drawings and prints, as gained in an office of architecture, builder, or general contractor.
3. International Code Council (ICC) Certifications as identified and required by the Department Director (such as Commercial Plans Examiner, Residential Plans Examiner, Electrical Plans Examiner, Mechanical Plans Examiner, Fire Plans Examiner, etc). Current ICC Residential, Commercial, and Fire Plans Examiner Certification is a plus, or a commitment to obtain remaining certifications within one year of employment with the Village.
4. Possession of a valid driver’s license.
5. Proficiency in Bluebeam PDF mark-up software is a plus.
6. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, electronic plan mark-ups, and other job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.schaumburg.com.