Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Taxation
The Virginia Department of Taxation seeks a team-oriented leader to apply for the position of Property Tax Director (“Director”). Over 8 million citizens rely on the more than $34 billion of revenue the Virginia Department of Taxation (“Virginia Tax”) collects to fund government services that affect their daily lives. Virginia’s highly educated workforce, strong economy, and stable business environment, along with its investments in education, sustainability, and inclusiveness, have made the state an attractive destination.
Virginia Tax, headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, is the largest of four agencies in the Finance Secretariat. Virginia Tax has more than 770 full-time employees with a 2023 budget of $127 million.
The Property Tax Director will lead a dynamic team of 7-10 subject-matter experts who ensure compliance with the Commonwealth’s property tax laws. The team’s responsibilities include:
- Providing local advisory aid and real and personal property valuation assistance to localities statewide.
- Managing the development of fair and equitable assessments of the rolling stock of freight car line companies.
- Overseeing the equalized valuation of all real and personal property of railroads and interstate pipeline companies.
This role reports directly to the Assistant Tax Commissioner of the Office of General Legal and Technical Services. Responsibilities of this position include:
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the Property Tax/Railroad & Pipeline Assessment Unit and assisting local government in property tax assessment and administration.
- Managing state taxation and local distribution, which includes the assessment of the rolling stock of railroad and freight car companies and for local taxation, and the assessment of the real and personal property of railroad and interstate pipeline transmission companies.
- Managing the compliance oversight of the Land Preservation Tax Credit.
- Working knowledge of state and local laws, regulations, and requirements regarding property tax assessment and taxation.
- Working knowledge of Virginia statutes and case law, and administrative policies and procedures for local taxation.
- Working knowledge of the appraisal of commercial and industrial real and personal property and regulated industries.
- Experience with budget preparation and expenditure control.
- Experience leading, directing, and developing staff on complicated topics and issues.
- Demonstrated leadership behaviors that align with the Virginia Tax values: Act with Integrity/ Strive for Excellence/Demonstrate Respect.
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Public Administration or Business, or related field; or equivalent work experience in real estate appraisal.
- IAAO, Appraisal Institute, or a Virginia Certified General Real Estate Appraiser license.
This position is eligible for a hybrid telework schedule. In addition to a rewarding work experience, Virginia Tax offers core benefits including competitive health and life insurance programs, pre-tax spending accounts, leave programs, a State Retirement Plan, and a tax-deferred Retirement Savings Plan with employer-matching provisions. Well-qualified external candidates may be eligible for a sign-on bonus and incentives.
The anticipated starting salary range is $125,000 – $134,000. Apply online at: www.jobs.virginia.gov/. Search by position title (“Property Tax Director”) or by requisition number (“504199”). Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. Position is open until filled with first review of applicants May 19, 2023. Apply to the attention of and direct any questions to: Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 847-380-3240.
The Commonwealth of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.jobs.virginia.gov.