- The Finance Director provides executive level leadership over Licensing, Water Utility Billing, and the Finance and Accounting department. This position serves as the Chief Financial Officer and supports the City Council’s Finance and Purchasing Committee serving as secretary. The Director has one direct report and 15 indirect reports. All positions are full-time. The Director oversees the development and administration of the annual budget and all financial operations ensuring these functions perform efficiently and effectively.
- The Finance Director regularly presents financial reports to the Mayor and City Council and must be adept at public oral presentations to board members, other governmental agencies, and various stakeholders.
- Waukegan is a large, complex, home rule organization consisting of more than 468 employees most of whom are represented by the 6 collective bargaining agreements. The Finance Director participates actively in collective bargaining. Waukegan has a diverse workforce and is committed to diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
- With a strong commitment to fiscal responsibility and the support of the newly elected Mayor, the Director will lead innovation, identify key performance indicators, track performance, and recommend new methods and approaches, policy, and programmatic changes to ensure continuous improvement in the areas within the finance department.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Master’s Degree, CPA or CGFO designation preferred.
- In addition, candidates will ideally possess 7 years managerial experience in financial operations in local government, or related field to demonstrate comprehensive municipal finance knowledge.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate innovative and creative problem-solving skills that include incorporating data and relevant metrics into decision making processes. Collaborative leadership skills with the ability to develop and maintain productive relationships both internally and externally are a must.