Human Resources Director, Wausau, WI (pop. 39,994). Progressive, full-service city with a lively downtown, Wausau is 95 miles northwest of Green Bay. Located on the shores of the Wisconsin River, Wausau is a family-friendly community known for its beautiful neighborhoods, vibrant corporations, dining and shopping opportunities, and abundant year-round recreational activities.
The City is seeking a collaborative and accessible human resources professional to manage a comprehensive range of personnel services for a workforce of more than 375 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees. Key areas of responsibility include the city’s classification and compensation system, employee benefits, labor relations and collective bargaining, recruitment and selection, risk management, safety programs, compliance, training and development. The Director manages a departmental budget of $440,000 and two full-time professionals. The Director is appointed by and reports to the Mayor. The City is governed by a Mayor and 11 Common Council members.
The City is seeking an energetic, ethical and experienced leader with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Have a record of problem solving, decisiveness and approachability
- Possess a passion for public service, and preferably have government HR experience or private sector HR experience with a transferable skill set to the public sector
- Be adept at combining a hands-on management style with confident professionalism, and has an ability to work with employees, elected officials and other stakeholders.
Candidates should also have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business or public administration or closely related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience that brings the knowledge, abilities, skills and leadership to the delivery of contemporary personnel services
- A Master’s degree in these disciplines is highly desired
- Certification through IPMA, SHRM, SPHR or PHR preferred
- Seven – 10 years of experience in the human resources field, with supervisory experience preferred.
The starting salary range is $95,000 – 112,000 (midpoint) +/- DOQ, plus excellent benefits. Candidates should apply by September 12, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.