Transit Director, Wausau, WI (pop. 39,994). Progressive, full-service city with a lively downtown, Wausau is 95 miles northwest of Green Bay. Located on the shores of the Wisconsin River, Wausau is a family-friendly community known for its beautiful neighborhoods, vibrant corporations, dining and shopping opportunities, and abundant year-round recreational activities.
The City is seeking an innovative public transportation professional to lead and manage the City’s Metro Ride fixed-route bus system available to the general public, and paratransit service. Metro Ride has seven routes (more during the school year) covering more than 400,000 route miles and providing 450,000 passenger rides annually.
The Director oversees a budget of over $3.7 million and an authorized staff of 32.50. Drivers are unionized. Presently, Metro Ride service is provided 12 hours/day. The Director is appointed by and reports to the Mayor. The City is governed by a Mayor and 11 Common Council members.
The City is seeking a highly collaborative leader with a communicative, team-oriented management style with strong skills in strategic planning and community engagement. Metro Ride’s next Director should be a forward thinking, passionate advocate for public transportation who is able to embrace today’s challenges and build a sustainable best-in-class transit system for the region.
Successful candidate will:
- Be adept at identifying, advocating, and implementing contemporary public transportation solutions
- Have a vision for how public transportation can serve the City’s and region’s broader community goals and aspirations
- Have a record of problem solving
- Be adept at combining a hands-on management style with confident professionalism, and an ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
Candidates should also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, planning, transportation or closely related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience that brings the knowledge, abilities, skills and leadership to the delivery of contemporary personnel services
- 7 – 10 years of progressively responsible transportation administrative experience, with supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to attain and maintain a Class B CDL w/ air brake and passenger endorsement
The starting salary range is $97,800 – $115,000 (FY 2023 midpoint) +/- DOQ, plus excellent benefits. Candidates should apply by November 28, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA Tel: 847-380-3240. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: November 28. 2022
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.