West Chicago, IL (population 25,614). GovHR USA is pleased to announce the recruitment of candidates for the newly established Assistant City Administrator for the City of West Chicago, Illinois. West Chicago is located in western DuPage County with great accessibility by train or highway. West Chicago strikes a balance between suburban amenities and small-town atmosphere. The family friendly neighborhoods are safe, and ethnically, culturally, and racially diverse. The City has a wide range of housing choices, commercial and industrial properties.
First established at the turn of the century by the railroad industry, the community is served by three major rail lines and three state highways. The City with 117.5 FTE and a budget of $48 million offers a full array of municipal services (Police, Community Development, Finance and Public Works) and operates under a Mayor-Council form of government. With 14 Aldermen in seven wards, the community has a history of political stability and prides itself on a progressive and professional staff. The newly created Assistant City Administrator will report to the long-term City Administrator. As a valued team-member, the new Assistant City Administrator will have oversight of the Human Resources Coordinator, a GIS Coordinator and between 1-3 contracted Information Technology staff.
About the Position
The Assistant City Administrator (ACA) serves as a key member of the City’s leadership team with direct responsibility for the management of assigned Departments and effective implementation of City-wide strategic initiatives and policies. The position coordinates daily interdepartmental activities and identifies, analyzes, and proposes solutions to operational procedures and problems, staff, and budgetary issues. The ACA provides highly responsible staff assistance to the City Administrator and serves as a resource to other Departments. The position acts as City Administrator in the City Administrator’s absence.
Opportunities and challenges for the Assistant City Administrator include:
- Establishing an effective partnership with the leadership team including the City Administrator and Department Heads forging opportunities and implementing local government best practices to support methods within the organization.
- Facilitating the transition of duties from the City Administrator to the newly created position. Incorporating new initiatives and fresh approaches to service delivery with a focus on customer service.
- Instituting new modern/innovative municipal technology and processes across the organization to improve service delivery and improve transparency.
- Partnering with the newly hired Finance Director in the development of the annual budget.
- Overseeing and participating in the collective bargaining process.
- Conducting goal setting and long and short-range planning for the administration, organization and operations as the organization recalibrates to face new and existing challenges.
- Support, supervise and facilitate best practices within the human resources and risk management functions. The recently hired HR Coordinator is focused on updating the employee personnel manual, as well as implementing improved processes for recruitment, hiring, and training of staff to maintain effective operations.
The City is seeking an experienced and collaborative professional to serve as Assistant City Administrator. The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, or related field. Master’s Degree in same preferred.
- Seven years progressively responsible relevant experience, including supervisory experience in a community of similar size and complexity. Experience working in an ethnically and socio-economically diverse community is a plus.
- Knowledge of public administration, local government management and business theory, practice, and administration.
- Knowledge of and experience with governmental budgeting, accounting and finance principles and practices.
- Strong organizational leadership, with excellent personnel management skills.
- History of collaboration within and outside of the organization, intergovernmental cooperation and relationship building.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present complex information to any audience.
- Excellent reputation and a demonstrated high level of honesty and integrity.
Compensation and Benefits
The full salary range for this position is $126,813 to $177,538 with an anticipated salary of $135,000 +/- DOQ. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), health insurance including medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), and life insurance. The City also offers paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave.
Apply online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. Applications are due by November 11, 2022. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, at 847-380-3240, Ext. 122.
The City of West Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: November 11, 2022