Westmont, Ill (pop. 24,429) The Village of Westmont is seeking an innovative and strategic leader to serve as its next Community Development Director. Successful candidates will possess excellent communication skills and a team-oriented management style as well as have a demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong partnerships with both business and community leaders.
Westmont is a proud middle class and volunteer driven community that has an amazing relationship with neighboring communities, libraries, and park districts. Westmont is a contributing member of DuPage County and the Chicago metropolitan region. The Chicago Loop is only eighteen miles to the east and a very short drive of just twenty-five minutes to Chicago O’Hare International Airport. Westmont and the DuPage County Region are home to the DuPage Airport, Benedictine University, College of DuPage, DeVry University, and Elmhurst College. Westmont and DuPage County provide over 50 golf courses and more than 25,000 acres of lush green spaces and award-winning park districts, including Ty Warner Park, home of the FMC Natatorium, a 71,000 square-foot national aquatic facility.
The Community Development Director serves on the Village’s collaborative leadership team and reports directly to the Village Manager. The position directly supervises two Deputy Directors and a Community Development Specialist and has general departmental oversight for a total of ten staff, including a contract engineer. Additionally, the position is tasked with planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating all Community Development functions to achieve Village growth and goals in line with objectives and general guidelines established by the Village Board.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning, Engineering, Public Administration or a closely related field.
- A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field OR certification in at least one of the following: American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Community Development, or Certified Building Official (CBO) is preferred.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible related experience with at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience with budget preparation and administration and with progressively responsible administrative work.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite or Google Apps and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Working knowledge and familiarity with TIF District administration is preferred.
- Familiarity of the operational aspects of municipal government.
- Working knowledge of municipal planning and economic development principles and practices with general familiarity of international building codes and code enforcement.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of leadership, supervisory management, and positive employee relations as well as some related experience.
- Professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills as well as excellent internal and external customer service skills.
- Requires the ability to adapt to change and coach others to do the same.
- Requires the ability to tactfully and diplomatically handle difficult situations with Village personnel, governmental officials, various special interest groups and Village residents.
- Requires ability to effectively present ideas, both orally and in writing.
- A valid State of Illinois driver’s license.
How to Apply
The anticipated starting salary range for this full-time, exempt position is between $102,668.80-$148,907.20 based upon education and previous experience. The current range maximum is $148,907.20, although the Village is actively engaged in a compensation study. Residency is required in DuPage County or any county that is contiguous to DuPage County by the end of the 12-month Qualification Period. This is a full-time, exempt position with the Village of Westmont. The Village offers an extremely competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, health and wellness program and vacation leave upon hire. The Village also offers 10 paid holidays as well as floating holidays, sick leave, professional development, education reimbursement, professional memberships and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement System (IMRF).
Interested candidates should apply by April 24, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) work-related references online to the attention of Riccardo Ginex, Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240. Westmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer.