Director of Economic Development, Wheeling, IL (pop. 38,878). Incorporated in 1894, and 27 miles northwest of Chicago, the Village of Wheeling originated as an overnight rest stop for travelers journeying from Chicago to the Wisconsin Territory. The inns, taverns, and eateries established in the 1830’s developed into Wheeling’s Restaurant Row. In step with the growth of Metro Chicago, Wheeling emerged as a center for industry and commerce.
Today, Wheeling residents and business owners enjoy the vibrant neighborhoods, public amenities, and community spirit fostered by this rich heritage. The Village seeks an economic development leader prepared to meet the demands of a community undergoing significant redevelopment and revitalization, an individual with initiative, creativity, and a proven track-record of retaining, expanding and recruiting businesses.
The Director of Economic Development position offers the ideal candidate the chance to build on and deliver the Village’s economic development program. The Director will coordinate and implement goals and programs that promote the growth and retention of a vital economy within the Village with responsibility that includes recruitment and retention programming in the retail, industrial, residential, and office sectors. The Director reports directly to the Village Manager and supervises a business development coordinator.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in community development, planning, business or public administration or related field. A related Master’s degree is preferred.
- Five years of municipal experience in progressively responsible positions, with at least two years of economic development experience.
- Strong communication skills, the ability to think and act strategically, and the talent to tactfully negotiate and “close the deal.”
- A demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders including Village officials and staff, brokers, developers, and local business owners.
- An ability to build relationships, not bureaucracy.
A starting salary range is $140,000 – $150,000 +/- DOQ, and an excellent benefit package is offered.
Candidates should apply by May 1, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references
to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023