Fire Chief, Wheeling, IL (pop. 38,878). Incorporated in 1894, and 27 miles northwest of Chicago, the Village of Wheeling originated as an overnight rest stop for travelers journeying from Chicago to the Wisconsin Territory. The inns, taverns, and eateries established in the 1830’s developed into Wheeling’s Restaurant Row. In step with the growth of Metro Chicago, Wheeling emerged as a center for industry and commerce. Today, Wheeling residents and business owners enjoy the vibrant neighborhoods, public amenities, and community spirit fostered by this rich heritage.
The Village seeks a fire service and EMS leader prepared to meet the demands of a community undergoing significant redevelopment and revitalization. The next Fire Chief will be an individual with a clear and dynamic vision for providing excellent, proactive emergency services.
The Fire Chief position offers the ideal candidate the chance to build on a strong tradition of excellence. Wheeling’s department is a modern, all hazards’ fire/EMS (ALS) service for an area of about 10 square miles, and a daytime population of more than 75,000. Aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF), as well as ALS emergency medical service, are also provided to the Chicago Executive Airport.
The department maintains three fire stations staffed on a 24-hour basis. The Wheeling F.D. has a total of 58 personnel. All shift personnel are certified/licensed as both firefighters and paramedics. In January 2025 dispatch will be provided by Northwest Central Dispatch System. The department has a Class 2 ISO rating, and a budget of $15.8 million. The Chief reports directly to the Village Manager.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in public safety administration or related field from an accredited college or university. A master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in a managerial role in the fire and emergency medical services, including a minimum of five years of experience in a progressively responsible command/supervisory positions at the rank of Deputy Fire Chief, Battalion Fire Chief, Fire Marshal, or equivalent duties and responsibilities commensurate with the position.
- The successful completion of the Executive Fire Officer Program offered by the National Fire Academy, and/or Chief Fire Officer Designation is desired.
- Experience as an innovative, collaborative fire/EMS leader with demonstrated staff management, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Well-developed writing and public speaking skills and the utmost integrity.
A starting salary range is $160,000 – $170,000 +/- DOQ, and an excellent benefit package is offered.
Candidates should apply online by November 17, 2023, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of T.E. Sashko, Vice President, GovHR USA. Questions, Contact T.E. Sashko @ (847) 380-3240 x123. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: November 17, 2023