Economic Development Director, Whitewater, WI (pop. 14,889). Whitewater is located in the lake-dotted, easy-rolling hills of southeastern Wisconsin. The city is one hour southwest of Milwaukee and 45 minutes southeast of Madison. Whitewater is a talent generator that serves as a regional center for learning and lifelong growth, with a lively year-round cultural and outdoor recreation scene set in a welcoming small-town setting.
An historic community with a traditional downtown, Whitewater is home to the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, a multi-disciplinary university founded in 1868. The school, with a student population of more than 11,000, is an important feature of the Whitewater community and identity. The community seeks an economic development leader prepared to meet the demands of a community undergoing significant redevelopment and revitalization opportunities, an individual with initiative, creativity, and a proven track-record of retaining, expanding, and recruiting businesses.
The Economic Development Director position offers the ideal candidate the chance to build on and deliver the City’s economic development program. The Director will coordinate and implement goals and programs that promote the growth and retention of a vital economy within the City with responsibility that includes recruitment and retention programming in the retail, industrial, residential, and office sectors. The Director reports directly to the City Manager, is a member of the City’s management team and may serve as the Director of the Community Development Authority.
Candidates should have:
- Strong communication skills, the ability to think and act strategically, and the talent to tactfully negotiate and “close the deal.”
- A demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders including City officials and staff, brokers, developers, and local business owners.
- An ability to build relationships, not bureaucracy.
- An understanding of the unique nature of startups and how to lead them to success.
Qualified candidates should also have:
- B.A. in business public administration, planning, geography, economics, or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred, as is designation as a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD);
- A minimum of three years of closely related professional experience;
- Grant writing experience preferred; and
- An understanding of business plans, financial statements, and complex financing options including real estate transactions and properties with detailed covenants and special values.
The Director is appointed by the City Manager. Starting salary range: $85,000 – 90,000+/- DOQ, plus exceptional benefits.
Candidates should apply by September 25, 2023, with resume, cover letter and contact information for three work-related references to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President and David De Angelis, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA. Tel: 847-380-3240. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: September 25, 2023