GovHR USA and Worcester Public Library are seeking collaborative, experienced, and innovative candidates for the new position of Director of Library Services. A recent 12.8-million-dollar renovation of the main library to refresh and expand public space was completed in 2021, and the organization is eager to grow and expand its services. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of the executive team in a well-supported city library that is poised to become one of the leading libraries in the state.
Worcester, located in rapidly growing central Massachusetts, is the second largest city in Massachusetts and home to nine colleges and universities. The City is located one hour from Boston, has an affordable cost of living, robust public transportation and is a vibrant and culturally diverse community. The Worcester Public Library is centrally located and serves a population of approximately 205,000 residents. In addition to the Main Library there are six library branches and two bookmobiles.
The Director of Library Services oversees four departments and a team of approximately 40. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Director of Operations to support strategic initiatives, programs, and services in an urban setting. The Director of Library Services is an important member of the leadership team and expected to provide strong leadership to help build a culture where people are involved and enthusiastic about their work and workplace. Worcester Public Library is seeking a strong leader who values frequent communication and manages people with accountability, is an active listener and a willing coach and advocate who builds relationships and champions the work of the people and the departments.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school or recognized by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in public libraries with a minimum three years’ experience in a management capacity, preferably in an urban setting
- Excellent written and communication skills
- A pro-active, team oriented, and inclusive management style
- A passion for providing exemplary public service and desire to foster team collaboration
- Knowledge of current public library trends and emerging library technologies
- Knowledge of change management
- Experience with budget development
- Ability to represent the library and its interests at local and regional events and at professional library association workshops and conferences
- Demonstrated interest in staff development
The Worcester Public Library is an organization that values innovation, collaboration, and excellence, and is committed to creating positive experiences for its patrons and employees.
The salary range is $85,000 to $ 111,770 DOQ, with City of Worcester benefits package and generous vacation allowance. Ability to pass CORI/SORI and access to reliable transportation required. Periodic attendance at evening and weekend meetings required.
The Worcester Public Library makes every effort to support ALA’s “Core Competences of Librarianship” http://www.ala.org/educationcareers/careers/corecomp as approved and adopted as policy by the ALA Council, January 27th 2009 and, as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and aims to have its workforce reflect the community. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Candidates interested in applying for the position should submit their résumé and cover letter electronically by November 27, 2023 along with contact information for five (5) work-related and/or professional references. Questions may be addressed to Susan Brennan, Vice-President 781-771-5654 and/or Michael Jaillet, Vice-President 781-760-3658.
Application Deadline: November 27, 2023