Heidi Voorhees is the president and co-owner of GovHR USA, and possesses more than 30 years of collective experience working in local government. She has served as both a municipal leader and partner with local governments and nonprofits, handling executive search and management consulting. Heidi’s exceptional communication style and lasting relationships have positioned her as a widely-respected leader in her field across the U.S. She is deeply focused on understanding the culture of each organization that GovHR USA serves.
Executive searches conducted by Heidi for GovHR USA are uniquely tailored around clients, and achieved through consensus-building and decision making with a wide range of community leaders. This in-depth and thorough consulting method sets Heidi apart from others in her industry; she leads executive talent searches that expertly identify imperative skill-sets, and provide a robust match for core values and professional environment.
The crucial ability to understand the needs, challenges and perspectives within clients’ organizations are ingrained in Heidi’s fundamental strengths; she works in a highly-effective manner with elected and appointed officials to assist them in making critical personnel decisions. Through this exemplary approach, she understands the intricacies that exist within organizations and communities. Realizing the importance of her clients’ human resource and executive management needs, Heidi works tirelessly to advise and consult, so that she can strategically connect the best talent available with her clients.
Heidi is extremely passionate about her commitment to advancing women and minorities in local government, which is also a strong emphasis of GovHR USA. She believes in conducting extensive outreach in the search for talented individuals which results in highly qualified candidates from all backgrounds.
Professional Education, Training and Instruction
- Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science, Illinois State University, IL
- Master’s degree in Public Affairs from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, IN
- Fellow at Eli Lilly State and Local Government Fellowship Program
- Distinguished Alumnus
Professional Development and Speaking Engagements
- Trainer/Speaker on Recruitment Selection: Legacy Project Annual Conference, International City and County Management Association annual conference, Illinois City and County Management Association (ILCMA) conference, Wisconsin City and County Management Association conference, Michigan Municipal Executives, Ohio City and County Management Association, American Public Works Association–Chicago Metro Chapter, Illinois Association of Municipal Management Assistants, Northern Illinois University Civic Leadership Program, and Great Lakes Leadership Academy
- Former Adjunct Instructor: Center for Public Safety, Northwestern University Campus
- Former Instructor: Master’s Degree Program in Public Policy and Administration, Northwestern University
- Former Trainer: Executive Management Program on Management, Community Relations, and Organizational Culture for Law Enforcement
Memberships and Affiliations
- Co-founder of The Legacy Project, an organization dedicated to advancing women in Illinois local government
- Chicago Metropolitan Managers’ Association, Past Board Member
- Illinois City and County Management Association (ILCMA), Past Board Member
- International City and County Management Association (ICMA), Member
- Leadership Greater Chicago Program, Past Participant
- Active Rotarian for 26 years, Charter Member for Wilmette Harbor Rotary
Local Government Professional Background:
19 Years of Local Government Leadership and Management
- Village Manager, Village of Wilmette, IL 1990-2001
- Assistant Village Manager, Village of Wilmette, IL 1986-1990
- Assistant to the Village Manager, Village of Schaumburg, IL 1984-1986
- Budget Analyst, City of Kansas City, MO 1983-1984
- Cookingham-Noll Fellow, City of Kansas City, MO 1982-1983
5,886 total views, 6 views today