Kathleen F. Rush has over 30 years experience as a local government management professional including Woodridge and Riverside, Illinois. She is known for her extensive professional network. From 2009 until 2017, Ms. Rush served as the Village Administrator in Woodridge, a progressive, vibrant, diverse community in south central DuPage County. During her tenure in Woodridge, Ms. Rush was responsible for an approximate $44.5 million budget and 126 full-time employees. During her tenure in Woodridge award-winning intergovernmental cooperation and regional service, arrangements were initiated. She participated extensively at a leadership level in regional and County-wide agencies ensuring the implications of decisions were considered during decision making. Advancement of internal support systems were championed.
Ms. Rush served as the Village Manager In Riverside, Illinois (a national historic landmark) from 1998 to 2009. Riverside is a unique, small town with a high demand for resident service and attention to historic preservation. Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of Central Park, NY, the Village of Riverside presented a unique set of challenges and projects. The community is known for its significant amount of open space, distinctive zoning and curvilinear streets. The community retains its historic character that essentially has been unchanged since 1879. The community is part of the National Park Service inventory of designated landmarks. Significant financial challenges offered an opportunity for innovated financial solutions. Capital project financing, operational reductions and increased service demands were a focus. Significant water, street, sewer, forestry projects were completed. Significant grant funding and partnership with the National Park Service assisted in the financial undertakings. The Village of Riverside provided parks/recreation and fire services in addition to the primary Village operations.
Prior to serving in the Manager’s role in Riverside, Ms. Rush did serve as the Assistant Village Administrator in Woodridge where she was responsible for human resources, information technology, purchasing, agenda management, community relations, special events and Village Board support. She served as the acting Director of Public Works and served as the project manager during the construction of a new Village Hall.
Ms. Rush holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science and a graduate degree in Public Administration from Northern Illinois University.
Professional Education, Training and Instruction
- Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science
- Graduate Degree in Public Administration, Northern Illinois University
Professional Development and Speaking Engagements
- ILCMA, panelist at various conferences
- IAMMA, panelist at various conferences
- The Legacy Project, Panelist 2017 Annual Conference and luncheon speaker
Memberships and Affiliations
- District 3 Board Commissioner DuPage Water Commission
- Board member and secretary for the DuPage Credit Union
- Board of Directors for the DuPage Federation on Human Services Reform, Vice Chairperson
- Former President of the Board of Advisor’s for the Northern Illinois University division of Public Administration
- Former President of the Illinois City/County Manager’s Association
- Former President of the Illinois Municipal Management Assistants Association
- Former Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Risk Management Agency
- Former member of the DuPage Mayors and Managers Association Executive Board, and Transportation Committee Chairperson
- ASPA Administrator of the Year in 2014
- Robert B. Morris Lifetime Achievement Award, ILCMA, 2017
Local Government Background
Over 30 years experience as a local government management professional
- Village Administrator, Village of Woodridge, IL 2009-2017
- Village Manager, Village of Riverside, IL 1998 – 2009
- Assistant Village Administrator, Woodridge, IL 1985-1998