5 Tips for a Successful Video Interview
- If it is your first video interview, practice in advance. Video chatting with friends is not the same as a video interview. Check the background behind you, address as much ambient noise as possible and sequester pets in another room.
- Check your lighting before the interview starts. Sun behind you can make you look like a silhouette. Wear a solid color but not white.
- Set your screen at shoulder level – this may require putting a box or books under your laptop or other device.
- Know where your camera is on your device and look into it.
- Alert your interviewer if the quality of the sound or video degrades. If you try to power through it, you may miss key parts of a question.
Here are some additional useful tips: https://www.wired.com/story/tips-for-online-job-interviews/
By: Heidi Voorhees