Albemarle, NC (pop. 16,404) seeks an experienced municipal government professional to serve as its next City Manager. As the county seat Albemarle is the largest municipality in Stanly County located in the beautiful Uwharrie Lakes region near two of the state’s largest urban areas Charlotte and the Piedmont Triad area. The city has a thriving business community and is known for friendly neighborhoods and small-town charm and offers wonderful outdoor opportunities including camping, hiking, boating, fishing, and swimming.
Albemarle has a council-manager government structure under a mayor and a seven-member council. The city manager’s position is very stable. The community has only had four city managers since 1962 and the current manager is retiring after nine years as manager and 28 with the city.
The population of the city has been very stable for years but is expected to see significant growth in the next 10 years. Albemarle is also seeing a revitalization of its downtown with new businesses and Pfeiffer University opening its Center for Health Sciences as a satellite campus. The continued downtown development is one of the many exciting opportunities facing the city.
The city has developed a strategic plan to help guide the expected growth of the community. One of the challenges will be providing the infrastructure needed for the new growth.
- Albemarle is a full-service city with a FY2024 total budget of $81 million and 330 full-time equivalent (FTE) positions across all funds. The City’s budget includes general fund, water/sewer fund, and electrical fund. The city also operates a public housing department and landfill that provides service to the entire county.
- The City Council seeks a strong leader capable of addressing difficult issues associated with the position.
- The City Manager will be expected to be a visible leader in the community capable of building relationships with local government partners and community stakeholders.
- The City Council seeks candidates with an engaged, active management approach that enables them to remain versed on major priorities and issues while empowering their managers to lead.
- Successful candidates will have a track record of cultivating productive teams with positive morale. They will have a strong grasp of municipal finance and budget.
Qualifications: A master’s degree in public administration, business administration, urban planning, or related field and seven to ten years of progressively responsible municipal government experience, including senior management leadership. ICMA-CM preferred. The salary range for this position is $135,045 to $209,319 DOQ. The manager will be required to reside in the city of Albemarle after a reasonable amount of time. Apply by November 10, 2023, to the attention of W. Lane Bailey, Senior Vice President, Tel: (847) 380-3240 x140.
Application Deadline: November 10, 2023